Monday, October 11, 2010

My reason for blogging

After setting up this blog, well getting my talented daughter Katherine to set up the blog, to sell my handmade soap, but instead using it as a means of communicating with our children while we were on our relaxing cruise (which our beautiful children brought us for our 20th wedding anniversary) and then letting it slip as life seems to have a way of overtaking me. I have been doing a bit of soul searching lately as to if I should delete it or dedicate some time to making it work. I seem to spend some time reading other blogs and get a lot of encouragement from women who, like me, are serving God, honoring their husbands, homeschooling, nourishing their families spiritually and physically, and in some cases even farming, all on a budget.

It seems almost daily that I feel I have something that I would like to write down that may encourage somebody else, weather it be something from scripture, or the kitchen, or the garden, or the family. So I will try and continue with the blog, and maybe one day even set up the soap shop.

I started making soap about this time last year when we were sharefarming on a local dairy and the milk prices suddenly dropped, I was racking my brain as to what I could do to value add our milk. We could not afford to put in processing equipment, so I came up with the idea of putting the milk into soap. I had made soap many years ago so I got out my old recipes and did some online research then started to experiment. I used locally produced olive oil, honey, peppermint oil, lavender oil, and eucalyptus oil as well as our milk. Then went to our local farmers market which is only run over the summer, where I was really surprised how well it sold. Gradually over the summer I put the soap into local shops where it slowly sells. So I now want to expand a bit and try to sell online.

No comments:

Post a Comment